Global Positioning Systems or Global Positioning System (GPS) are devices that tell you exactly where you are anywhere on Earth. It works by having a handheld device send signals to three or more satellites orbiting the Earth and the satellites triangulate your exact location.
Today, the technology market offers different types of GPS devices for different navigation activities. There is a GPS designed specifically for scientific purposes, portable GPS devices for hiking and outdoor activities, that can fit in pockets and the most popular is the dashboard-mounted GPS for vehicles, very useful for navigating the city.
Since dashboard GPS is the most common type of GPS, let’s examine the different features you should look for in this type of GPS that can be very useful and useful when driving in unfamiliar places.
- custom paths – Of course, the main purpose is to put the routes you know into the GPS so that you don’t have to enter the same route again when you go to the same place. With a single touch on the screen, the custom tracks you have programmed will be displayed instantly.
- waypoint – Waypoints are markers inside a GPS device. It can be programmed before or during the trip. This allows you to get from point A to point B in no time.
- Traffic reports – Up-to-date traffic reports are essential on a GPS device so that they allow you to take alternative routes to avoid heavy traffic situations, thus being efficient in terms of petrol and vehicle usage.
- Voice guidance – This feature allows you to drive without being distracted because you are always looking at your GPS. The voice will prompt you to turn left or right towards your destination without taking your eyes off the road.
- Speed Limit – This is an indispensable feature on a GPS dashboard as it helps you keep track of your speed limit. Also, GPS gives you speed limits in the area without having to look for speed limit signs.
- points of interest – These are the pre-programmed destinations that are popular in a particular place. This will help you to easily find tourist spots, restaurants or famous places in a particular area.
- screen resolution – Obviously, the larger the screen, the easier it is to navigate with GPS. The screen resolution should be 800×480 standard, which allows you to easily view maps and satellite images.
- zoom capabilities – This feature allows you to easily view maps by displaying the map as wide as possible. Having this feature allows you to navigate big cities with ease.
- battery capacity – A GPS that will be used for city driving or road navigation must have a good battery life for those long trips. Standard battery life should be 4 hours or more.
- custom extensions – The GPS device itself must have dedicated accessories available. For example, a GPS device should have a car or dashboard mount so that the device can be placed securely in the vehicle while driving. Also, car chargers are available in the market for your GPS device so that you can use the device without worrying about battery life or low battery situations.
Moreover, there are other features that the dashboard GPS device can provide but the above items are the basic ones. Having these great features on your GPS will totally help you in navigating those new places that you are going to visit either for business or leisure activities.